Rent and Services Charge Increases

Rent and Services Charge Increases

Published 25 August 2022

Like all social landlords we review our rents one a year. At Housing For Women, this takes place over the summer and any changes take place in October. We have now concluded this work and over the next week you will be receiving a notice advising you of the impact of the review on your rent and services charges for 2022/23.

Overall rent and service charges will increase by 4.1%. This is in line with the Governments regulatory guidance to housing associations. After no increase between 2016 and 2020 we have had to raise your rent over the last few years. This years increase reflects the rise in costs that we are all facing but this year H4W is experiencing a sharp rise in service charges for many residents.

Like other Housing Associations, the rent we charge is our main source of income. It pays for all the repairs that are needed each year, as well as the management of our homes. It also helps pay off any loans that we have taken out to invest in our homes.

Service charges are an amount that tenants pay to cover the cost of providing communal or shared services to a building and, if applicable, the surrounding estate, to ensure their upkeep, safety and maintenance.

If you receive Universal Credit, then all you need to do is report the new rent and service charge figure and the date the increase takes place to the DWP as soon as you get your letter.

If you claim Housing Benefit you will need to contact your local authority and give them the information about the new rent and service charge figure.

If you pay by Direct Debit we will amend your payment and send you a separate letter or message confirming your monthly Direct Debit payment.

If you pay by Standing Order then you will need to contact your bank to change the amount. We cannot do this.

Getting Help

If you have difficulty meeting the cost of your rent and other household bills there are organisation who can help:

Citizens Advice

There is a network of Citizens Advice offices across London providing walk in advice and assistance. The Citizens Advice website is also a great source of information

Turn 2 Us

Provides a free helpline, largely for those without access to the internet or have difficulties going online. Their number is 080 802 2000, 9-5 weekdays