Manage your energy bills and stay warm this winter

Manage your energy bills and stay warm this winter

Published 18 January 2022

During the winter months, it’s worth claiming all the financial help you are eligible for to help you save money while keeping safe and warm. There are several schemes, grants and benefits available during the winter to help you pay your gas and electricity, read to find out more:

Warm home discount

This government scheme could save you £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022. The scheme opens on October 18 2021.

Who can apply?

You can apply for the scheme if you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or you are on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme. For more information on how to apply visit: Warm Home Discount Scheme.

Cold weather payment

If the weather in your local area drops to or below zero degrees celsius, for more than 7 consecutive days between 1 November 2021 and 31 March 2022, you could be entitled to an extra payment of £25 for each day.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you receive a range of benefits including, income support, pension credit, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, universal credit, income-related employment and support allowance and support for mortgage interest. For more information on how to apply visit: Cold Weather Payment.

Winter fuel payment

This government scheme entitles older citizens to between £100-£300 towards their heating bill in the winter of 2021-2022. You have up until 31 March 2022 to make a claim for winter 2021-2022.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you meet all of the following criteria:

Have been born on or before 26 September 1955 (the eligibility birth date changes every financial year).
Lived in the UK for a least one day during the week of 20-26 September 2021 (the qualifying week for the financial year of 2021-2022).
You can call the Winter Fuel Payment helpline on 0800 731 01610 for more information on eligibility and help if you are claiming for the first time. Or visit Winter Fuel Payment.

Household support fund

This new fund will assist vulnerable households to help meet daily needs including food, clothing and utility bills. Each council decides the requirements, amount and claims process you must take to receive the fund, therefore the exact amount you are eligible for depends on where you live. For more information visit: GOV.UK.

How can apply?

The Household Support Fund is aimed to help households who are affected by the £20 cut to universal credit. If you are affected by the cut please contact your local council in order to place a claim for the new fund. To find out who your local council is visit: Find your local council.

Charitable grants

There are a range of charities that offer grants to help people with various different things to help improve individuals quality of life, including help paying utility bills. The grants accessible depend on a person’s specific circumstances such as their age or income. To find out what help may be available to you from grant giving charities you can use the Turn2us grant search.

Energy companies

Some energy companies offer schemes or grants to help customers cover their energy bills. So ask your energy provider if there are any grants they can offer you. The British Gas Energy Trust is accessible to anyone you don’t have to be a customer to apply.

More information

  • For advice on energy bills and energy efficiency contact your local Citizens Advice or call the consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.
  • Check if you can get a local energy grant on the Simple Energy Advice website
  • If you are struggling to manage your bills visit Step Change for free online debt advice.
    Check Benefits Checker to ensure you are claiming all of the benefits you are entitled to.